Friday, March 27, 2015

Comics by Women

I absolutely loved the Safari Honeymoon comic that was recommended for this week. The graphic nature of the artwork in Jesse Jacob's comic already appealed to me, but the writing was especially fun for me to read. It had a sophisticated grit to it which I admire. Aesthetically clean, but disgusting in content.




For this week's reading I read a Marjane Satrapi novel, Embroideries. I enjoyed Persepolis primarily for it's graphic black and white designs and illustrations, and of course for the content which usually emphasizes/touches on women in the middle east; a subject I can strongly relate to. Growing up, I would be forced to go to dinner parties and adult gatherings, and most times, men and women were divided in separate rooms. It is common for women to gather and discuss feminine things, while the men would leave and discuss 'manly things'. The Iranian women converse frequently about sex, marriage, virginity and other intimate matters. The form of conversation and the humor these women share is so familiar for me. One portrayal of women in the Middle East, and also a misconception, is that they are impressionable and weak not by choice but by obligation or circumstance. This is not entirely true all the time, many women take pride in their wit and knowledge, and capability, however feel almost expected to conceal it especially in the presence of men. Some of the topics addressed in this story may seem unrealistic to some readers, but in such a culture are very common and real. I especially like that even though the matters which are brought up between the women are upsetting or disheartening, they discuss it lightly and almost humorously, giving the reader a sense of normalcy in a context they may not be able to comprehend fully depending on where they come from or the kind of lifestyles and surroundings they may have. It reveals a not-so oppressed image of women, but more of a realistic, 'it is what it is' sort of approach? If that makes any sense. In Lebanon, it is expected that a woman is a virgin till marriage, married at age 22-24, beautiful from the moment she wakes till the moment she sleeps (often times done up with surgeries and makeup), and conservative with her language and opinions. Anyway, the point is, those things seem outlandish and crazy to perhaps a person in the US just based on modern social standards, but in the Middle East, there are very old fashioned, traditional values which have not and may never change. This is no big deal to us, it's just the way it is. That is how I feel many things are presented in Embroideries. 

 

As much as I enjoyed this story by Satrapi and the little stories within it, I loved being able to laugh to myself because of how strongly I could relate, however, can't help but feel weird that the subject matter and values reflected and conveyed in most of Satrapi's novels (along with many other women's), is best recognized for the familiar feminine qualities presented to/for women. I love having the option to feel feminine and unique from men or male readers? to some degree? (in the sense that I have my own sexual ideas and values), but wish that sometimes female writers wouldn't stand out as much for that particular reason or quality. I love when female creators (in general) are able to take that approach sometimes, but also have the ability to be chameleons in the world of comics. Point being, I love a woman who not only writes about female oppression, sex/virginity, and childbirth, but also a woman who writes/draws gritty disgusting things , science fiction stories, or action thrillers. Whatever it may be, I hope that the line between female or male creators/writers/comic book artists disintegrates.

No comments:

Post a Comment