Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Final Blog Post: Revisions

Underground Comix

This may be one of my favorite areas of comics we will touch on in this class. If you were to look at my work and my own comics, you would never know how enthusiastic I actually am about the artists and artwork that came from the Underground Comix movement. A lot of people frown upon Robert Cumb's work. I completely understand the negative reaction his work gets most of the time. As feminist and anti-stereotyping/anti-racism/anti-'pretty much everything Crumb illustrates' I may be, I love every single, awful illustration he does.

Believe me... I wish I could say that I hate this, but I hate it so much I love it.

Half of my collection is made up of Crumb books, because not only do I appreciate the attitude in his work, I admire the flagrant obscenity in his style of drawing. It first reminded me a lot of album covers and show flyers I had always seen in my music collection.



 Along with comics, I grew up on a lot of punk rock and stoner-metal music. I have been totally desensitized to the crass and inappropriate imagery he depicts in his comics. The thing I loved about the Underground Comix was the liberal presentation of X-rated material. Hence the X in Comix. It was, in my opinion, the punk rock of comics. A middle finger to the publications that limited artists and their freedom to be gross and inappropriate. It was aimed at a much more mature and open minded audience, and although at that time, sex, drugs and rock and roll were heavily depicted in comics, Underground Comix took it to an extreme level. I love that!

ADDITIONALLY:

On the subject of inappropriate comic books and cartoons, I feel it is necessary to make mention of the relatively recent events which occurred in Paris. Charlie Hebdo is a satirical French comic book company in Paris, France. It highlighted subjects which include politics, religion, and culture in very blunt and sarcastic depictions. On 7 January 2015, two Islamist gunmen forced their way into the Paris headquarters of Charlie Hebdo and opened fire, killing twelve staff cartoonists, 1 economist , and 2 editors. I had very strong opinions about this and my parents told me not to make a fuss about it and to never ever post my opinion about it anywhere... Naturally I posted this in tribute to the events which occurred because so many people should be made aware of such events. I had many debates about it and came to the conclusion that NO artist, for any reason (so long as they aren't physically harming anyone in the making of their work) should ever deserve death for creating a cartoon.

"My heart goes out to all of the artists of Charlie Hebdo. It is a shame that an artist should be punished for expressing themselves openly and freely..."

Another person who had a different response, was none other than Robert Crumb ...


No comments:

Post a Comment