Tuesday, April 14, 2015

PREACHER - Garth Ennis


1. Were there any prominent symbols in what you read and how were they used?

The repetitive use of Flame, every time they switched off in their storytelling, one character lights a cigarette (with the exception of Tulip), and the flame is 'passed around'. I don't think its necessarily a significant symbol, but perhaps a good technique for switching off the 'spotlight' onto narrator and dialogue. The 'Angels' and the 'Demons' are depicted in a very different way than we have been introduced to most often times, as well as the relationships between the two. I'm not sure that this is even a good observation or a stupid analytical detail that I am pointing out, but Cassidy's sunglasses seem to always have the same shape/reflection within the lenses? I dismissed the repetitiveness of the designs, but then remembered my first time reading Watchmen and thinking "How inconsistent can a person be with inking that mask!?" Since Rorschach's facial mask prints are always morphing and changing. I didn't realize it until the film came out when I saw the mask physically morphing and changing and felt really stupid. It could be nothing, but it was prominent enough to me to recognize. I felt I should call it before I catch myself in a stupid moment again. 

2. Is there an aspect of the story with which you were able to make a personal connection?

There are a few details within the first 20 pages of this comic series that I was able to make a personal connection with. One of them being the preacher's outlook on God and his whereabouts. In the very beginning, when told that there are only two places where God can be found, he sets the tone by responding that 'It sure as hell ain't the Church'. I have never been religious, and because of personal and cultural reasons, have seen the destruction and corruption of faith/religion onto people, and can agree that 'God' may be present in many unexpected places, but certainly is not found in the Church. I really like the western quality of the comic so far, it reminded me a little bit of Moebius' Blueberry (which I grew up on), but a lot grittier and with a much deeper storyline. Another personal connection was the scenario in which Tulip was sexually harassed by the man in the vehicle. This was a very real moment and her reaction, shooting the man beside him in the face, was very extreme, but understood. I'm sure at some point it will be justified or explained (since she knew they were coming and I haven't read far enough to know how she knew that).

3. If you were to adapt this story to another medium, what changes would you make?

If this comic were adapted into another medium, I would see it adapted as a film. If that were the case, I would ideally hope for more of a starting foundation or a little bit more of an introduction that sets the tone. A piece of imagery or background info establishing the purpose of the Preacher without exposing too much information. I think certain aspects of it should be explained a little more thoroughly without removing the element of mystery or fiction. I personally would not make changes, and there are many film studios that create controversial films, but this film might have a hard time in mainstream hollywood movies due to the religious content and heavy violence. Even still, I could see it being produced by Grindhouse, and directed by Quentin Tarantino or something. 

No comments:

Post a Comment